LIFE LESSONS FROM LOVE ISLAND, or, THE JOEY ESSEX EFFECT. BY SANDRA HARRIS.


LIFE LESSONS FROM LOVE ISLAND, or, THE JOEY ESSEX EFFECT.

BY SANDRA HARRIS. ©

Oh God, I love LOVE ISLAND. I love watching it, discussing it with my kids afterwards, thinking about it when I go to bed and then going on Twitter when I wake up to see what the millions of fans thought about the previous night’s episode. It’s not even my guilty pleasure any more; I’m quite open about that the fact that I practically live for it during the months of June and July.

 We’ve reached the halfway mark in the show and it’s making me reflect on the morals and ethics (and carnal forebearance?) of some of the contestants. Well, one of the contestants in particular, a tanned, muscular thirty-three-year-old bloke called Joey Essex. Sound familiar? That’s because he is familiar.

He’s been a reality television star since 2011, when he appeared on popular television show, THE ONLY WAY IS ESSEX. Since then, he’s been on pretty much every reality television show except THE X FACTOR. He has his own range of hair products and he’s made numerous television and personal appearances.

He's had various girlfriends but, when he walked through the iconic heart-shaped doors of LOVE ISLAND in June 2024, he was adamant that, now he's getting on a bit, he really does want to find the girl of his dreams, something that’s eluded him in his life thus far.

Since coming to Love Island, he’s found true love twice in the first month, lol. He first coupled up with a feisty Scouser called Samantha, telling her he had feelings for her and everything, while strangely not kissing or cuddling her or engaging in the ‘Public Displays of Affection’ or ‘PDAs’ the other islanders go in for.

The utterly starstruck ‘Smamfa’ made it perfectly clear that she was keen to get her manicured little mitts on ‘Joey Essex’ the brand, a game-plan that fell apart when the stunningly beautiful Grace, a truly knockout blonde, waltzed into the villa and it was revealed that she was in fact Joey’s ex-girlfriend, with whom he had ‘unfinished business,’ a phrase that struck fear into Smamfa’s heart.

Smamfa, feeling she was onto a loser here, deliberately sat back and let Grace steal Joey out from under her nose because she felt like she couldn’t compete with their ‘history.’ Joey was very disrespectful to Smamfa too, sleeping in the Hideaway with Grace when he was supposed to be sharing a bed with Smamfa. What a rotter. The newly-single Smamfa was dumped from the villa in a cruel and heartless move that was all just ‘part of the game.’

How Samantha must have crowed, from the comfort of her own home, when, roughly a week later, Joey did the exact same thing to Grace that he’d done to Smamfa; namely, binned her off for a newer model, a ‘bombshell’ called Jessy, who’s certainly pretty, but not drop-dead-gorgeous like Grace.

(‘Bombshell’ is the name of a new ‘boy’ or ‘gel’ who comes into the villa at a different time to the main contestants; they have the right to ‘steal’ a boy or girl of their choice from one of the other contestants. Bombshells are exciting because they can cause uproar, jealousy and fighting in the villa.)

Jessy ‘steals’ Joey from Grace, who is apoplectic. Joey, who is adept at telling one woman one thing and another woman something else, just like he did with Smamfa and Grace, is thrilled to be ‘stolen,’ though he pretends not to be so as not to piss off Grace. I’m so glad we’ve hooked up again, this was meant to be, he’d be telling Grace while informing Smamfa that he still had ‘very strong feelings for her.’ Smamfa was confused and deeply hurt by the time she left the villa.

The Twitter fans of LOVE ISLAND seem to think that Joey will cheat on Jessy the minute the six gorgeous CASA AMOR girls swan in to the villa in tonight’s show. A man who cheated once will cheat again, they say, and I do believe that.

‘You lose ‘em how you get ‘em’ is a saying I learned today, and that also seems true, particularly of Grace, who lost Joey the way Smamfa lost him, the minute someone new and shiny walked through the villa doors.

Seeing this has helped me to solve the conundrum that has long puzzled me; how could, say, footballer Ashley Cole cheat on his wife Cheryl Cole, at one time one of the most beautiful women in the world? ? (This also applies to any other beautiful woman whose bloke cheats on her, but the Cheryl thing in particular used to boggle my mind.)

The answer to the conundrum? Because someone else came along, a novelty, someone who was a new toy to play with for a bit. They needn’t even have been better-looking than Cheryl, which anyway would have been difficult; they just needed to be different and new. This explains why even gorgeous models and famous actresses get cheated on; men are like magpies. They simply cannot resist the allure of the new and shiny.

Joey Essex is living proof that a man who’ll cheat on a woman to get with you will, sooner or later, cheat on you to get with another woman, or even to go back to the original woman, the one they cheated on to get with you. This has happened to me and, though it clearly shouldn’t have, based on what we’ve just been discussing, I was shocked to my core by it.

Why should it have been such a surprise to me? Why was I shocked by the fact that a man I knew to be a cheat had cheated on me? I know the answer to this. It’s because I never expected him to do it to me. I thought I was special, different. Nope! Wrong again.

There might be some guys out there reading this who are getting annoyed because they don’t cheat and don’t think they ever would. Fair enough, but I believe these men to be in the minority. Am I being unfair to men? Maybe, but then again, maybe not. I’d love to be wrong about this but, sadly, I don’t think I am.

The women on Love Island's Twitter thread have basically said that the philandering Joey Essex, who says one thing to one woman and something else to another, is the reason women should ‘fear men.’ Certainly, he makes me not want to trust them. And the practised ease with which he lies and tells the female islanders what they want to hear does kind of make me fear him, and men like him, of which there are more than a few.

Anyway, there’s a whole glorious month left of the summer’s favourite show, a whole month for Joey to get even more entangled in the web of deceit and falsehoods he’s been carefully crafting for himself since he entered the villa as a ‘bombshell.’ (Some people say he shouldn’t even be in the show as he’s a professional reality TV star and not an ordinary Joe Soap.)

Enjoy what’s left of the show if you’re watching, but don’t be fooled by the sweet talk you’ll hear dropping from the lips of a certain Essex ‘boy,’ if someone Joey’s age (thirty-three) can get away with being termed a boy. He’s got the muscles and the whiter-than-white ‘Turkey teeth,’ but can he be trusted…? Answers on a postcard, folks…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'M NOT A HOARDER, DEAR; I'M A COLLECTOR...! BY SANDRA HARRIS.

A TOXIC CULTURE IN FOOTBALL: A WOMAN SPEAKS OUT. BY SANDRA HARRIS.

HAVE A VERY HAPPY HALLMARK CHRISTMAS...! BY SANDRA HARRIS.