WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR WRITING IDEAS FROM? BY SANDRA HARRIS.


WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR WRITING IDEAS FROM?

BY SANDRA HARRIS. ©

People who know I’m a writer are always asking me where I get my ideas from. You can find inspiration literally anywhere in life, I tell them. Look around you in the house; pick up an ornament and make up a story about it, or write a non-fiction piece about its origins, if you know them. Read books, watch films, study paintings or listen to music.

Better yet, get out of the house altogether and go for a walk. It’s better than a book of writing prompts. You’ll see ideas around you wherever you look. People always look a bit dubious when I say that. A walk? Really? Just walking around and observing things and people? They probably wouldn’t believe me if I added that, if walking around the place observing and inter-acting with people were a job that you got paid for, I’d do it in a flash.

And, just to prove my point about how rich and fruitful our local neighbourhoods can be as a source of inspiration and ideas for our writing, I can reveal that I went for a bit of a local perambulation today and came up with a few things which I’ll gladly share with you in the hope that you might use them yourselves as the jumping-off point for a story or a poem:

1.      There was a guy walking down the street with a live- as opposed to late- parrot on his shoulder. I did a double take, as did most of the other pedestrians on the same street. How did this parrot get so tame that its owner could trust it not to fly away when they go out together? See if you could work the man and his feathered friend into a piece of writing.

2.      I passed a parked van by a parade of shops with the indicator lights going, to show that the driver had just stepped away from his vehicle for a moment. In the passenger seat, sitting up straight and dignified and looking very important indeed, was a brown woolly dog! I waved in and smiled and tried to attract his attention but he didn’t get excited, he just looked over at me mildly as if to say, do you mind? I’m a very important doggie and I'm trying to mind the car here…!

3.      I passed a hoarding next to a building site with the following words painted on it: KINDNESS STATION: TAKE A COAT IF YOU ARE COLD, OR LEAVE ONE IF YOU HAVE ONE TO SPARE. Underneath were four hooks to hang the coats. You could write a story about a random act of kindness, maybe, or about one of the many facets of homelessness or poverty.

4.      An outdoors plant shop proved a particularly inspiring place to browse in for an hour- or two! I saw a huge tub filled to the brim with rainwater, and imagined a rather grim story about a mother who refuses to accept that her child, who was lost at sea during a family holiday, is never coming back. It can be hard to write about death, especially the passing of a child, so don’t do it if you don’t feel up to it. On the other hand, there are times when it might just be unavoidable, so see how you feel about giving it a go sometime.

5.      The plant shop was playing music that sounded like it came from a silent film-slash-romantic comedy, something in which you might see Buster Keaton take a lady to the beach for an ice-cream only to end up in a rocket being launched into outer space…! Think up your own romantic comedy story, even if it’s a bit far-fetched.

6.      I had to yank on an old-fashioned bell pull in order to alert staff at the plant shop that I wished to make a purchase. Where else might you find a doorbell like that, the kind that makes a clanging noise when you pull on it? A haunted house, maybe, situated on a cliff, and it’s a dark stormy night. Who’s ringing the bell for access to this dreary mausoleum on a night like this? Surely only the souls of the dead are abroad on a night like this…?

7.      We’re in the cake shop next, where I’m picking up a birthday cake for my daughter. The first cake brought out to me has the following inscription on it: GOOD LUCK IN YOUR DRIVING TEST KEVIN! They got it right in the end, but think of what hilarious shenanigans might ensue if the mistake wasn’t uncovered till the unveiling of the cake, at the actual birthday party…?

8.      I saw a woman staring at a brown paper box on the ground outside the off-licence. The box, which was addressed to a woman called Vanessa, appeared to be empty. Who is Vanessa? Does she live over the off-licence? Did she get her package, and how did the box end up on the street? Might there be a story there?

9.      On a visit to a charity shop, in fact one of my favourites, it transpired that they were selling a couple of European-made chairs for nearly three hundred quid each (each!), and myself and an old man were kind of looking askance at each other, wondering what the hell was so special about these two fairly ordinary-looking kitchen chairs that the management was charging the best part of a grand for them. Then the old man turns to me and says: ‘I was talking to your man the manager here, and I sez to him, are ya running a charity shop or a feckin’ antiques showroom…? He wasn’t very happy about it but I made my point.’ Imagine and write down the conversation that took place between the two men.

10.  And finally, and this was such a random sighting it had me in stitches, on the way home from my perambulations, I saw two men standing on the pavement outside a shop, throwing cushions up to a man leaning over his balcony, clearly the occupant of the flat above the shop. As if that in itself wasn’t strange enough, there was a lot of bantering going on and one of the pavement men shouted up to Balcony Man: ‘Is this how you get your Deliveroo as well…?’

So you see, there’s a lot happening out there if you’re prepared to open yourself up to it. I’ve been told that I’m quite a quirky, inquisitive person and that’s why odd or interesting or even eccentric things always seem to happen to me, which I like. Let the universe know you want to be open to some of its weird and wonderful happenings and it will, hopefully, show them to you. Then get writing…

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REMEMBERING MT-USA AND VINCENT 'FAB VINNIE' HANLEY. BY SANDRA HARRIS.

LOVIN' LOVE ISLAND: MY GUILTY PLEASURE. BY SANDRA HARRIS. ©

THE ONE WHERE CHANDLER CHECKS OUT... BY SANDRA HARRIS.